Recipe kindly shared with me by Chef Mohammad of Tibisti Foods & Grill in Vancouver. A truly lovely recipe. Learn the basic technique and then you can play with the syrup and spices to add your own loving touch. Today I’m going to make another with some added honey and maybe spice.
I’m honoured to have had this recipe shared with me and am thrilled to be able to share it with you.
Louise, aka GaddAboutEating
- 1 package philo pastry
- 1-1/4 cups Vegetable Ghee melted
- 2 cups Nuts: Pistachio or Cashew or Walnut
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 2 cups White Sugar
- 1 cups Water
- 3 squeezes fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 cup Rose Water or Orange Blossom Syrup
- Melt ghee and thaw philo dough. Use 2 heaping spoonfuls of melted vegetable ghee to grease a 11"x13"x1" metal baking sheet. Spread out 1/2 package of philo to evenly cover pan
- Grind nuts to small pieces and add in sugar Spread out nut mixture evenly on philo Spread out remaining 1/2 package of philo Cut dish into squares or diamonds (or other preferred shape/size). It is important to cut into pieces before cooking Coat dish with remaining ghee Bake in 300 degree oven for approximately 1 hour
- Make a syrup with white sugar and water. Heat in saucepan until mixture comes to a boil. Remove mixture from heat and stir in fresh squeezes of juice from a lemon. Add flavour to taste. Suggestions: rose water and/or orange blossom syrup. Cardamom or other spices may be added as well. When dish has finished cooking, remove from oven and carefully drain any excess liquid ghee from pan. Once drained, coat dessert with syrup.