Chick pea curry is one of the traditional Indian curries, that can be served with Nan, Samosas, Aloo Tikki (Potato Patty), Puri (Fried Chapati) etc.
Recipe and photos by Gurpreet Chana
Servings: 6 people
- 4 cups or cans Chick Peas
- 3 Large Onions Chopped
- 5 Cloves Garlic or 1 Tsp garlic paste Chopped (if cloves)
- 1 large piece Fresh Ginger Root or 1 Tsp ginger paste
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seed
- 2 Pieces Teabags
- 2 Tsps Channa Masala (Chick Pea Masala), and Garam Masala India Spice, available at Indian Grocery stores or Isles
- 2 Tsps Fresh Cilantro Leaves Chopped
- 2 Tbsps Mustard Oil or any cooking oil
- 2 Tsps Salt
- 3 pieces Black Cardamoms seeds crushed
- 2 Red Tomatoes
- 2 Green Chillies
- Soak the chick peas in water and little bit of salt over night. Wash them nicely under water in the morning.
- Add fresh water, and teabags, then boil them in a pressure cooker for 20-25minutes. If you are using cans, chick peas should be ready to use, just wash them under water.
- On the side start preparing the curry base
- Add oil to a pan, and cook all the dry spices, including cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and black cardamom
- Cook Garlic until brown, then Onions until brown as well
- Add ginger, tomatoes, and green chilies and cook the nicely for another 10 minutes
- Once the base is ready, let it cool down for a bit, and blend it in a blender
- Add the blended base into the boiled chick peas, and let them boil together for 10-15 minutes
- Cook some chopped onions to garnish on the top
- Add them on the top once the curry is ready, and add the click pea masala and garam masala in the end
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!