This makes a wonderful hostess gift and as I’ll show in another later column, is nearly the same as making Hollandaise Sauce. There’s more to come for this section, watch for updates.
3 Egg Yolks
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 Pound Butter
1) Cut Lemons in half, and squeeze out the juice.
2) Mix all ingredients in a heat proof glass bowl.
3) Cook the mixture over boiling water, stirring constantly
until it thickens (about 5-10 minutes).
4) Pour the custard into glass jars.
5) Seal the jars with sterilized lids.
6) Cool and refrigerate. Will keep approximately for one month.
With graham or digestive crackers, this will taste like tiny lemon pies, minus the meringue.
You can add the egg whites to an omelette for the next day’s breakfast, make macaroons with them, or freeze them in a perfectly dry and clean container for future use. I like to use the frozen egg whites to clarify stock.