Green Tomato Pickle Relish is a delicious condiment and a great use for green tomatoes of any kind. Tomatoes can be diced for a fine relish, or cut in chunks or sliced to make a tomato pickle. I like both and I usually make a batch of each. Spice level can be adjusted by the use of hot peppers, or none.This is a wonderfully easy and delicious recipe. Perfect for new cooks who might be wary of the home canning process (easy instructions here)or for those more experienced and looking to use up some of the tomatoes that remain green into our Canadian autumn.
Servings: 12 250-ml glass jars
- 8 cups Green Tomatoes Chopped
- 3 tbsp Salt Coarse
Add to Tomatoes
- 2 cups White Sugar
- 2 cups White Vinegar
- 1 tsp Tumeric
- 1/2 tsp Celery Seed
- 3 tbsp Mustard Seed
- 3 cups White Onions diced
Add partway through boil
- 2 each Sweet Red Pepper diced
- 1 each Jalapeno Pepper diced (optional)
Combine Tomatoes and Salt.
- Let stand overnight and then drain.
Combine Spices, Liquid, and Onion
- Bring to a boil, simmer 5 minutes
Partway through Boil
- Add Tomatoes and Peppers, simmer another 5 minutes Bottle and seal to preserve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!