Recipe by Jacqui Shannon, adapted from Hugh Fearnly-Whittngstall
- 30-40 leaves nettle tops (pick the top 4 off each plant you can include the stem)
- handful Chives
- handful Arugula
- wet garlic greens
- 1 small onion chopped thinly
- 30 ml Butter
- 200 g arborio rice
- 500 ml chicken / veg stock
- salt and pepper
- 125 ml small glass of white wine* optional if not using increase stock by same amount
- Blanch the nettles in boiling water 60-90 seconds, immediately plunge into ice water, then drain, squeeze dry, and chop finely.
- Wash and chop chives and wet garlic greens
- Wash arugula, (if you find it too strong whole, it can be chopped)
- Melt butter in a large heavy pan and add onion. cook on low until onion is soft but not caramelized add rice and stir until coat it in the melted butter, approximately 2mins
- In a separate pot heat stock to simmering
- Ladle in stock one at a time adding the next when the previous is nearly completely absorbed.stir slowly anid occasionally so the rice never sticks
- Add the wine the same way, and when the mixture is crreamy remove from heat and stir in the nettles and half of the herbs
- Serve when warm but not hot, sprinkling on remaining herbs, salt pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Parmesan can be grated and added to the garnish if desired.
Cooking times vary approx 25-30min
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!