I’ve been making variations on this recipe for nearly 20 years now. This is the best version of this sauce to date .
It’s especially timely now while tomatoes are at their most plentiful, and an ideal way to use up all the skins and cores generated in canning.
If you are canning/skinning a full bushel of tomatoes, using these trimmings would make several jars of ketchup even without using any whole tomatoes, which of course you may also do.
It’s also very nice with green tomatoes, green apples, and cider vinegar, with a larger percentage of cloves to peppercorns, and intended to be used with pork.
- 500 gr tomatos
- 250 gr roasted red peppers
- 2 tbsp sundried tomatos minced
- 1 small apple chopped whole
- 1 Onion
- 100 gr icing sugar
- 200 ml malt vinegar
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 12 mixed red, green, and chinese peppercorns
- 6 Cloves
- 2 chilies
- Chop fruit, put everything together in a saucepan and cook for 30 minutes at a simmer.
- Press through a mouli
- Reheat to a simmer before putting into jars or bottles.