Crunchy, a bit salty, tangy, fennelly, definitely garlicky...ANTIPASTO. YES!
Recipe and photos by Fake Cook.
- 2 Lbs Green Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Sea Salt
- 1 Head Garlic Cloves Sliced
- Olive Oil As required
- 1 Tbsp Fennel Seeds (More if you use a large amount of Tomatoes)
- Wash tomatoes well with good clean water.
- Sliced or quartered into mouth manageable circles. DRY THEM! (Use a clean cloth or paper towels to do this).
- Toss in loads of coarse sea salt, hunks of garlic and fennel seeds.
- Weigh them down for a day or so...:-) Drain them.
- Now they look like this. Toss them around a bit...Make them smile!
- Weigh them down again for about a week. Drain water daily. Patience.
- Approximately 5 days later, as you see there is no water left to drain!
- Now they look like this. Rinsed them and gave them the full towel-dry spa treatment.
- Decided against adding more fresh garlic and fennel seed. They taste amazing as is. Do as you wish...add more or don't, as your own taste dictates.
- Place in sterilized jars topped off with olive oil and a wee sprinkle of Himalayan rock salt...or your favourite other salt.
- Should last for at least a month refrigerated.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!