- 1 Head Butter Lettuce
- 1 Small Head Radicchio
- 2 Tsp Walnut Oil
- 2 Tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Tsp Fleur de Sel
- 20 Whole Pecans or Walnuts
- 2 Tangelos
- Wash the Lettuce and Radiccio, and put in the salad bowl, but do not tear the leaves.
- Mix the olive and walnut oils together in a separate container.
- Juice one of the Tangelos and remove the remaining fruit, chopping it and setting aside in a small dish.
- Peel and slice the second Tangelo.
- Melt butter with Fleur de Sel and Sugar and add Walnuts, tossing them until they are toasted and coated with the caramel.
- Add a tablespoon of the juice and simmer the Walnuts for a moment before removing to a plate.
- Add the chopped Tangelo to the caramel/juice in the pan and caramelize the chopped bits.
- Remove the chopped candied Tangelo to a bowl.
- Pour in the rest of the juice and cook off the caramel, then pour this into the cup holding the candied chopped Tangelo
- Put the remaining slices of Tangelo into the hot pan while dressing the Lettuce/Radiccio with the oil mixture.
- Pour the juice with the chopped and caramelized Tangelo onto the Lettuce/Radiccio and toss gently until fully coated.
- Arrange 2/3 of the hot Tangelo slices on a plate. and arrange the Lettuce/Radiccio on top of that with the slices showing.
- Distribute the caramelized Pecans and remaining Orange Slices across the salad and serve.
- VARIATION: Use hazelnuts and hazelnut oil.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!