This beef stew is easy, delicious and inexpensive to make. While there are hundreds of variations of this traditional recipe, it’s hard to improve on this version’s savory and comforting goodness. Serve with Sadza and Curried Kale.
- 2 Lb Boney Beef Cut into 1 1/2
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Pepper Freshly Ground
- 2 On White Onions Finely Chopped
- 3 Cups Water
- 2 Tsp Flour
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/2 Tsp Curry Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Medium Tomatoes Finely Chopped
- Fresh Parsley Garnish
- Combine the curry powder and the flour in a bowl or large covered container.
- Put the meat, salt, water, pepper, rosemary, bay leaf, garlic, thyme and 1 onion into the cooking pot.
- On high heat let the meat boil for 8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and drain and reserve the broth.
- Put it in the container with the seasoned flour, cover it with the lid, and shake to evenly coat the pieces. Alternatively, dredge the meat in the seasoned flour in the bowl.
- Set the cooking pot, with oil in it, back onto a burner on medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the meat mixture and brown the meat evenly.
- When the meat is browned, add the other onion, and as the onion browns, add the tomatoes.
- Keep turning the meat so that the tomatoes get fully cooked and also so as to avoid burning the meat.
- Lower the heat a little more and add the broth that you drained and set aside earlier.
- Let it simmer for 40-50minutes on very low heat
- Turn off heat and let sit for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with the fresh parsley if desired.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
More from Lindiwe Sithole
Zimbabwean Oxtail Stew
Oxtail stew, a Zimbabwean favourite. Zimbabwean Oxtail Stew Oxtail stew,...Read More
Where can I find sadza in Canada
It depends where you are. I see that you are in the Okanagan.
I tried to phone Olaf African Store in Kelowna, and there was no answer, but perhaps they were busy.
Olaf African Store
Address: 735 Cook Rd #109A, Kelowna, BC V1W 4T4
Hours: Open ? Closes 7 p.m.
In New Westminster where there are several communities of immigrants frmo Africa there are several stores that might help. There, I phoned Machi African Store
Machi African Store
445 12th St #443,
New Westminster, BC V3M 4H7
Open ? Closes 7 p.m. · (604) 553-4593
Phone: (250) 215-1990
Wherever you happen to be, I would google “African Grocery Stores” and see what turns up. There are at least 10 stores in the Lower Mainland.
If you cannot find it near you, I recommend that you look for a store that sells Masa Harina, a white fine corn meal very similar to Sadza and Ugali.
You might also try Cream of Wheat, which is a similar product made from wheat grains.
can’t wait to try this it makes my mouth water as I know how delicious it is.