I moved to Toronto days before my 20th birthday. On my first morning there, I went for a walk along Queen Street West that took me to Edwards Books & Art where I bought two cookbooks.
One of these was Bean Feast: An International Collection of Recipes for Beans, Lentils, and Dried Pulses, by Valerie Turvey. A recipe for this garbanzo bean soup was in it. I made it almost immediately, and have been making it ever since. The other cookbook was titled Going Bananas and there will be recipes inspired from that as well.
- 1 cup black garbanzo beans
- Smoked ham hock
- ½ lb smoked ham from the hock
- 2 cured chorizo
- 1 small head of garlic
- 1 white onion
- 2 Tbsp Spanish paprika
- 1 lb red potatoes
- Soak the garbanzo beans for 12 or more hours. Drain.
- Assemble your ingredients and dice the onions
- Put the beans, hock, ham, chorizo, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and paprika in a soup pot
- Cook for 4-6 hours
- 40 minutes before serving, remove the ham hock, ham, and chorizo
- After cooling, slice the chorizo, cube the ham, and add them back into the soup with the potatoes.
- Either add the potatoes 30 minutes before serving, or over pre-cooked potatoes when done – a household member is doing keto, so we are adding potatoes at the end for those who want them
Enoteca Sociale Rosemary Focaccia
This Focaccia recipe comes courtesy of Enoteca Sociale, which is reviewed here.Read More
Sunflower Bread from Deaf Smith
Phyllis’ Bread from Deaf Smith Cookbook
A great recipe from an outstanding book Photos by Gayle...Read More
Warm Bread for Cold Days: Purity Flour Cookbook White Bread
There is nothing better than a fresh slice of bread...Read More
November – Eatin’s Canada
Roasted Vegetables and Polenta Soup November at Eatin’s Canada November...Read More
Pingback: It’s December! Strategies for holiday treats, gifts, and family dinners – eatinscanada.com
Pingback: Planning & preparation – procuring potatoes – eatinscanada.com
Pingback: Greek Style Pan Pizza Dough – eatinscanada.com
Pingback: Hot Italian Sausage – eatinscanada.com