Sopa de Garbanzo
- 1 cup black garbanzo beans
- Smoked ham hock
- ½ lb smoked ham from the hock
- 2 cured chorizo
- 1 small head of garlic
- 1 white onion
- 2 Tbsp Spanish paprika
- 1 lb red potatoes
- Soak the garbanzo beans for 4 or more hours. Drain.
- Assemble your ingredients and dice the onions
- Put the beans, hock, ham, chorizo, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and paprika in a soup pot
- Cook for 4-6 hours
- 40 minutes before serving, remove the ham hock, ham, and chorizo
- After cooling, slice the chorizo, cube the ham, and add them back into the soup with the potatoes.
- Either add the potatoes 30 minutes before serving, or over pre-cooked potatoes when done - a household member is doing keto, so we are adding potatoes at the end for those who want them
A classic, simple, and popular recipe from Spain, I have been making this soup for over 40 years.
The first morning that I woke up in Toronto, and went for a walk that took me to Edwards Books & Art. I bought two remaindered books, one of which was Bean Feast: An International Collection of Recipes for Beans, Lentils, and Dried Pulses. A recipe for this was in it. I have been making it ever since.
The soup in this image was made with black garbanzos (aka chickpeas), but it is more often made with the yellow ones.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!