Fried donuts are a big part of my Christmas tradition. Both my sister Sharon, and Line, my good friend, made them every year to serve to visitors.
This is Line’s recipe for traditional Quebec donuts.
- 2 eggs
- 1 and half cup sugar or a bit less maybe 1 and a quarter.
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- half tsp vanilla
- half tsp gr. nutmeg
- 4 cups of Brodie XXX flour has to be this flour absolutely or use regular one but you have to add baking powder and salt. and 1 cup of milk( with the vanilla in it)
- At least 1″ of lard preferred or oil in a vessel suitable for frying hot grease
- Sift the flour with the nutmeg
- Put 2 eggs in a big bowl
- Add sugar and mix,
- Add the flour and milk and butter, a bit at a time cause it gets very thick.
- Form a big ball and cover with saran wrap in a bowl and put in fridge overnight.
- After resting, the dough can be rolled
- If you do not have a donut cutter, use a glass and timble for cutting the outside and middle.
- So for the donuts, you need some either lard or vegetable grease to deep fry them. You make a test to see if the oil is hot enough by dropping a little piece of dough in the oil.
- Cook in hot fat, when you see it getting browned on the bottom, usef a chopstick to flip it over, and cook the other side.
- Remove from oil and put on brown paper to soak up the extra oil.
- When they cool down, i put a bit of icing powder on top, it loks great and taste great. Good luck if you’re making them. Bye
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!