The trick is to blend the flour and butter until the butter disappears and it looks like you have a bowl of just flour again.
The key is a good steel pastry cutter and patience…or a food processor.
Servings: 2 10" pie shells or shell and top
- 1 Cup Cold Butter Cut into pieces
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Ice Water
- Mix flour and salt together.
- Blend the flour and butter together with a useful pastry cutter until it looks like flour again. Put on a show in the background or listen to some nice tunes and get a rhythm going... Or, use a food processor with the steel blade and buzz the flour and butter in short bursts until the same result is achieved.
- Add just enough of the ice cold water to make the flour mixture form a ball. Do not handle it any more than necessary.
- Cut the dough into two pieces and form into a smooth ball. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Roll from the centre outwards until the dough is big enough to fill a 10" pie pan.
- Bake at 400º or as directed by your recipe.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!