Recipe and photo by GaddAboutEating,
Servings: 6 servings
- 1/4 cup Flour all-purpose
- 1 lb Chicken Breasts boneless & skinless
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 4 Carrots cut in 1/2 in diagonal slices
- 4 parsnips diced
- 2 stalks Celery cut in 1/4 in slices
- 2 Onions chopped
- 2 Apples diced
- 2 tbsp Curry Powder
- 1/4 tsp mace
- pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 6 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 cup milk or light cream
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup cooked rice
- Cube chicken, shake in plastic bag with most of the flour to coat. Reserve remaining flour.
- In large saucepan or kettle, heat oil over medium heat; brown chicken evenly on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Remove any dark brown bits from pan with paper towel.
- To oil remaining in pan add carrots, parsnips, onions, celery, apples, curry powder, mace, and cayenne; cook stirring over medium-high heat until coated with oil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and cook stirring often for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with reserved flour; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in stock.
- Return chicken to soup. *(Soup can be prepared ahead to this point and covered and refrigerated overnight).
- Stir milk into hot soup and season with salt&pepper to taste. Heat gently over low heat but do not boil.
- Place large spoonful of rice in each soup bowl; ladle soup over.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!